|Email Notifications - Sign up to get notified when new information and/or documents are posted on this web page. |
Updates will be posted as they become available. For questions, contact the City Manager's office at 909.839.7010
November 2, 2017
- On November 1, 2017, the City of Diamond Bar filed a SECOND lawsuit in Los Angeles County Superior Court challenging the City of Industry’s alleged unlawful attempt to purchase the Tres Hermanos Ranch with the intent of turning it over to a private entity to develop a massive solar facility. View News Release
October 23, 2017
- On October 20, 2017 the City of Diamond Bar filed a lawsuit in Sacramento County Superior Court challenging the City of Industry's unlawful attempt to purchase the Tres Hermanos Ranch for $41.65 million with the intent of turning it over to a private entity to develop a massive solar farm.
The City of Chino Hills
has filed a similar action. View Press Release
(link to additional documents
BACKGROUND INFORMATION -
Where is the Property Located?
Tres Hermanos Ranch is 2,450 acres of undeveloped open space located within the cities of Diamond Bar and Chino Hills. Approximately 730 acres, or 30 percent of the property, is within Diamond Bar city limits; the remaining 1,720 acres are located in Chino Hills. The portion of land within Diamond Bar is located north of Grand Avenue and is visible from Diamond Ranch High School.
Who Owns the Property?
Tres Hermanos Ranch is currently held in trust by the Successor Agency to the Industry Urban Development Agency on behalf of all the taxing entities, which include the cities of Diamond Bar and Chino Hills, and the County of Los Angeles.
According to a City of Industry memorandum, the Property was owned by the City of Industry but transferred to the former Industry Urban Development Agency in the late 1970s.
Under the Redevelopment Dissolution Act of 2011, the Oversight Board is charged with and has a fiduciary responsibility to maximize the value of the property for the benefit of various taxing entities, which includes Diamond Bar, Chino Hills, and other public agencies.
At its meeting of August 24, 2017, the Oversight Board approved the Successor’s Agency’s sale of the Tres Hermanos property to the City of Industry.
What is the Proposed Use of the Property?
As recent as October 2017, Industry City Manager stated in writing that the City does not have any definitive plans for the future use of Tres Hermanos. However, an agenda item currently before the Industry City Council seeks to ratify a Master Ground Lease and four amendments for a 450 megawatt solar generating facility on the property.
What is the City's Position?
The City Council is strongly opposed and deeply concerned with the Oversight Board’s decision to approve the sale of Tres Hermanos Ranch to Industry, and the lease agreement between Industry and a private entity to develop a solar generating facility on the property.
Compounding this concern is mounting evidence of flagrant and repeated violations, inconsistencies and contradictions on the part of the Successor Agency, the Oversight Board and the City of Industry with regard to actions taken in relation to the Tres Hermanos property and the proposed development.
Misinformation and Misconceptions
Existing Land Use Designation: Falsehoods and exaggerations have been circulating regarding the number of housing units permitted on the Diamond Bar portion of the Tres Hermanos property. Only 30 of the 720 acres within Diamond Bar’s jurisdiction is designated high density residential. The remaining 690 acres are zoned either agriculture or very low density – one residence per five acres.
Phone Poll: Several individuals have reported receiving calls from an organization conducting a survey that appeared to be aimed at gauging knowledge and opinion, and even influencing support for the development of the solar project on the Tres Hermanos property. According to the reports, the narrative provided and questions asked as part of this poll were clearly biased and misleading.
- Letter dated October 12, 2017 to California Department of Finance Re: Department of Finance Authority to Review Action of the Oversight Board of the Successor Agency to the Industry Urban – Development Agency Directing the Successor Agency to Sell Property to City of Industry
- Letter dated October 11, 2017 to City of Industry Re: City Council Agenda Item 5.2 – Ratification of Master Lease with San Gabriel Valley Water and Power
- Letter dated September 26, 2017 to City of Industry Re: Demand to Correct Brown Act Violation
- Letter dated September 21, 2017 to Oversight Board Re: Demand to Correct Brown Act Violation
- Letter dated September 13, 2017 to Industry City Manager Re: City of Industry Request for General Plan Conformance Determination Tres Hermanos Ranch Dated September 1, 2017
- Letter dated August 28, 2017 to California Department of Finance Re: Urgent – Oversight Board Approval of Sale of Property to City of Industry For $58.4 Million Less than the Property’s $100 Million Appraised Value
- Letter dated August 24, 2017 to Oversight Board Re: Consideration of Purchase of Tres Hermanos Property By City of Industry
- Letter dated August 3, 2017 to Industry City Manager Re: Purchase of Tres Hermanos/General Plan Conformance Finding
- Letter dated September 29, 2016 from County of Los Angeles Chief Executive Office to Oversight Board Re: Proposed Purchase and Sale of Tres Hermanos Ranch
- November 2, 2017 - News Release - City of Diamond Bar Files Second Lawsuit Challenging City Of Industry’s Effort To Buy Tres Hermanos Ranch To Build Massive Solar Facility
- October 23, 2017 - Press Release - City of Diamond Bar Files Lawsuit Challenging City of Industry's Effort to Buy Tres Hermanos Ranch For Less Than Half Its Value to Build Massive Solar Farm
- October 23, 2017 - Press Release from City of Chino Hills - City of Chino Hills Takes Legal Action Against City of Industry, and Others, Regarding Their Illegal Purchase of Tres Hermanos Ranch
- October 12, 2017 – Industry City Council Memorandum regarding the Ratification of Master Ground Lease with San Gabriel Valley Water and Power and Amendments Nos. 1-4
- September 28, 2017 – Industry City Council Staff Report regarding Ratification of the Purchase and Sale Agreement and Joint Escrow Instructions for Tres Hermanos Ranch (the PSA) by and between the Successor Agency to the Industry Urban-Development Agency and the City of Industry, Incorporation the Terms and Conditions in the PSA as Set Forth in Oversight Board Resolution 2017-05
- August 24, 2017 - Oversight Board of the Successor Agency Resolution 2017-05
- Master Ground Lease dated May 17, 2016
- February 2, 2016 – Tres Hermanos Appraisal Report by R.P. Laurain & Associates
- December 7, 2016 – Tres Hermanos Appraisal Report by Larry W. Helgar & Associates
- Tres Hermanos Site Maps