Alcohol Beverage Permit Policy

Alcoholic Beverage Permit Policy
Private Parties – Private Parties i.e. weddings, anniversaries, birthdays, or anyone other than a non-profit organization shall not sell alcohol on their own.  If a private party wishes to sell alcohol, they must arrange this through a licensed caterer.  The caterer must have a type 47 or 48 License (obtained from the State of California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control) which enables the caterer to sell beer, wine and distilled spirits (hard liquor).  If the caterer does not have this license, the private party cannot sell alcohol.  No exceptions.  It is illegal for a private party to sell alcohol.

Non-Profit Organizations – One-day permits to serve alcoholic beverages may be obtained by non-profit organizations from Alcoholic Beverage Control.

State of California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control
222 E. Huntington Dr., Suite 114, Monrovia, CA  91016
(626) 256-3241

Directions:  Take the 57 freeway north to the 210 freeway west, exit Myrtle Ave. and turn right (north), then turn right onto E. Huntington Dr.  The office is located two blocks down on the right-hand side.
Hours:  The office is open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.

  1. Applicant must apply in person.
  2. Must apply no sooner than one (1) month and no less than one (1) week before the event.
    (A copy of the ABC License must be furnished to the DBC seven days prior to your event.)
  3. Must be an adult (21 years of age or older).
  4. TWO letters are needed:
    1. One from City of Diamond Bar giving approval for the sale of alcoholic beverages at a City facility.
    2. A second one on your organization’s letterhead stating date, time, location, type of event and approximate attendance.
  5. Must be prepared to present proof that the organization represented is a non-profit organization (corporate documents or letters from Franchise Tax Board or IRS.)
  6. Must have a MONEY ORDER or a CASHIER’S CHECK, payable to:  “Alcoholic Beverage Control” (no cash or personal checks accepted).
  7. There are additional ABC requirements for certain events such as casino nights.  Contact the ABC office at (626) 927-1060 prior to requesting your permit.

Fees charged for the issuance of permits by the department of Alcoholic Beverage Control are:

One (1) day beer $15.00
One (1) day wine (or champagne) $15.00
One (1) day combination of beer and wine $30.00
One (1) day hard liquor (also may include wine and beer) $25.00

Note:  Unless only serving beer or wine the one-day hard liquor permit is recommended.  (There is a limit of twelve hard liquor permits per year.)